Hate Crime by Jurisdiction
Jurisdictional data provide aggregate state totals and individual agency breakdowns of bias-motivated incidents (hate crimes) that law enforcement agencies submitted to the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.
- The UCR Program’s Hate Crime Statistics Program included 16,149 participating law enforcement agencies in 2017. These agencies provided 1 to 12 months of data about bias-motivated crime. Of those agencies, 2,040 (12.6 percent) reported 7,175 incidents.
- The remaining 87.4 percent of agencies participating in the Hate Crime Statistics Program reported that no hate crimes occurred in their jurisdictions.
- Table 12 presents the following data for each state: the total number of participating agencies, the population represented, the number of agencies that submitted data about hate crime incidents, and the number of incidents reported.
- Table 13 provides the data from those agencies that reported one or more hate crime incidents occurred in their respective jurisdictions during one or more quarters in 2017.
- Table 14 lists the agencies that indicated no instances of hate crime occurred in their respective jurisdictions during the quarter(s) in 2017 for which they submitted reports.
- Tables 13 and 14 present the data by state, and each state is subdivided by agency type. Agency types include cities, universities and colleges, metropolitan counties, nonmetropolitan counties, state police agencies, tribal agencies, and other agencies. The data published for universities and colleges represent crime reported only by those individual university/college law enforcement agencies that contributed to the UCR Program; the tables do not specify information about educational institutions that reported hate crime data via their local law enforcement agencies.
- The Methodology section of this publication further explains the procedures used to collect, report, and publish these data.
Hate Crime Statistics Act
UCR Statistics: Their Proper Use
Tables by Title
FBI UCR Contacts
State UCR Contacts