For the past few years, the FBI has published annual compilations of the data reported via the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS) by law enforcement throughout the country. These annual reports show the diversity and complexity of incident-based data and, while not yet nationally representative, offer more characteristics and associations in crime than has been previously published through the Summary Reporting System. Tables include the following:
- Individual agency data for 24 offense categories
- Victim, offender, and arrestee data
- Location and time of day of incidents
- Weapon data for select offenses
- Drug, alcohol, and gang involvement in offenses
- Attempted versus completed offenses
- Clearances by incidents
- Relationship of victims to offenders
The 2017 edition of the annual report NIBRS is tentatively scheduled for release in the fall of 2018.
When the data become available, data users will be able to access the information on the Internet and download Adobe Acrobat files and Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. A press release will be issued concurrently with the publication NIBRS, 2017.
NIBRS, 2017, is the fourth electronic publication in a series of annual reports from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program. To view prior editions of this publication or others in the series, go to the UCR Program’s home page.