U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI)
Within the DOI in 2016, 621 officers were attacked. Of these officers, 1 officer was injured with a firearm, and 116 sustained injuries from weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.) The following provides information by agency within the DOI:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs—504 officers were attacked, 1 of whom was injured with a firearm and 85 of whom were injured with weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- National Park Service—107 officers were assaulted, 31 of whom sustained injuries from weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service—6 officers were assaulted; none were injured. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
Type of activity (See Table 130.)
At the time of the attacks, officers from the DOI were performing the following activities:
- 235 officers were on patrol or guard duty.
- 181 officers were making arrests or serving summonses.
- 128 officers were conducting investigations or searches.
- 35 officers were maintaining custody of prisoners.
- 23 officers were assigned to office duty.
- 19 officers were performing other official duties.
Weapons (See Table 127.)
Weapons used against the DOI officers during the attacks include the following:
- 241 officers were assaulted with personal weapons, such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 24 officers were assaulted with firearms.
- 19 officers were assaulted with vehicles.
- 13 officers were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments.
- 10 officers were assaulted with blunt instruments.
- 314 officers were assaulted with other types of weapons.
Dispositional information (See Tables 123 and 131.)
Law enforcement authorities identified 520 suspects in the assaults on DOI officers. At the time of this report, the following dispositional information was available for 313 of the 520 suspects:
- 242 suspects were found guilty.
- 45 suspects were awaiting trial.
- 11 suspects’ cases were pending prosecutive opinion.
- 9 suspects’ prosecutions were declined.
- 2 suspects were fugitives.
- 2 suspects are deceased.
- 1 suspect was found not guilty or the charges were dismissed.
- 1 suspect was determined to be incompetent to stand trial.