U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI)
Within the DOI in 2015, 570 officers were attacked. Of these officers, 5 officers were injured with firearms, and 80 sustained injuries from weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.) The following provides information by agency within the DOI:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs–505 officers were attacked, 5 of whom were injured with firearms and 69 of whom were injured with weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- Bureau of Land Management–3 officers were assaulted, 1 of whom was injured with a weapon other than a firearm. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- National Park Service–54 officers were assaulted, 7 of whom sustained injuries from weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service–8 officers were assaulted; 3 were injured with weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
Type of activity (See Table 130.)
At the time of the attacks, officers from the DOI were performing the following activities:
- 238 officers were conducting investigations or searches.
- 164 officers were on patrol or guard duty.
- 104 officers were making arrests or serving summonses.
- 42 officers were maintaining custody of prisoners.
- 1 officer was assigned to office duty.
- 21 officers were performing other official duties.
Weapons (See Table 129.)
Weapons used against the DOI officers during the attacks include the following:
- 204 officers were assaulted with personal weapons, such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 16 officers were assaulted with firearms.
- 6 officers were assaulted with vehicles.
- 5 officers were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments.
- 1 officer was assaulted with a blunt instrument.
- 338 officers were assaulted with other types of weapons.
Dispositional information (See Table 131.)
Law enforcement authorities identified 534 suspects in the assaults on DOI officers. At the time of this report, the following dispositional information was available for 386 of the suspects:
- 271 suspects were found guilty.
- 69 suspects were awaiting trial.
- 32 suspects’ cases were pending prosecutive opinion.
- 9 suspects’ prosecutions were declined.
- 3 suspects were found not guilty or the charges were dismissed.
- 1 suspect was a fugitive.
- 1 suspect is deceased.