U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
There were 488 officers with the DHS who were assaulted in 2015. The extent of injuries was not reported for 349 of these victim officers. Of the 139 officers for whom the extent of the injury was reported, 36 officers sustained injuries, 103 officers were not injured, and no officers were killed. (See Tables 123 and 124.) The following provides information by agency within the DHS:
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection–454 officers were assaulted; however, the extent of injuries was not reported for 349 of these victim officers. Of the 105 officers for whom the extent of injuries was reported, 24 were injured, all with weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement–8 officers were assaulted. Four were injured, all with weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
- U.S. Secret Service–26 officers were assaulted. Eight were injured, all with weapons other than firearms. (See Tables 123 and 124.)
Type of activity (See Table 130.)
At the time they were assaulted, DHS officers were performing the following activities:
- 368 officers were assigned to patrol or guard duty.
- 90 officers were conducting investigations/searches.
- 19 officers were assigned to protection duty.
- 4 officers were making arrests or serving summonses.
- 3 officers were maintaining custody of prisoners.
- 4 officers were assigned to other duties.
Weapons (See Table 129.)
Weapons used against the DHS officers during the assaults include:
- 213 officers were assaulted with personal weapons, such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 134 officers were assaulted with blunt instruments.
- 56 officers were assaulted with vehicles.
- 26 officers were assaulted with firearms.
- 4 officers were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments.
- 55 officers were assaulted with other types of weapons.
Dispositional information (See Table 131.)
Law enforcement authorities identified 109 suspects in the assaults on DHS officers. Dispositional information was reported for 26 of the known offenders. At the time of this report:
- 14 suspect’s cases were pending prosecutive opinion.
- 3 suspects were found not guilty or the charges were dismissed.
- 3 suspects’ prosecutions were declined.
- 2 suspects were awaiting trial.
- 2 suspects were found guilty.
- 2 suspects were deceased.