Full-time Law Enforcement Employees1
by Region and Geographic Division by Population Group
Number and Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, 2019
|TOTAL||Number of employees||569,819||209,882||64,904||61,893||57,795||61,106||114,239||10,247||196,900,226||433,451||13,247||288,357,597||468,532|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.9||3.4||2.1||2.1||2.1||2.3||5.5||4.7||3.8|
|NORTHEAST||Number of employees||158,999||67,819||8,052||15,640||18,733||18,713||30,042||2,526||44,387,838|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.6||5.8||2.9||2.4||2.2||2.2||4.8|
|NEW ENGLAND||Number of employees||33,586||2,922||4,020||6,216||7,322||7,054||6,052||781||12,741,851|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||4.2||2.9||2.3||2.3||2.3||3.5|
|MIDDLE ATLANTIC||Number of employees||125,413||64,897||4,032||9,424||11,411||11,659||23,990||1,745||31,645,987|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||4.0||5.9||2.9||2.5||2.2||2.1||5.3|
|MIDWEST||Number of employees||103,578||34,720||8,237||12,874||12,126||14,394||21,227||2,679||39,233,426|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||3.8||2.0||1.8||1.9||2.1||3.7|
|EAST NORTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||68,219||27,075||4,453||8,186||8,705||8,711||11,089||1,446||24,836,151|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.7||4.3||2.0||1.9||1.9||2.0||3.5|
|WEST NORTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||35,359||7,645||3,784||4,688||3,421||5,683||10,138||1,233||14,397,275|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.5||2.8||2.0||1.7||1.9||2.1||3.9|
|SOUTH||Number of employees||190,329||55,052||28,746||18,297||18,389||21,229||48,616||3,659||59,614,470|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.2||2.8||2.5||2.5||2.6||2.9||7.3|
|SOUTH ATLANTIC||Number of employees||88,165||22,582||13,187||10,967||9,166||9,598||22,665||1,582||25,223,887|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.5||3.4||2.6||2.6||2.7||3.1||8.2|
|EAST SOUTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||33,367||6,548||4,931||2,110||4,167||4,335||11,276||852||9,391,674|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.6||2.8||3.0||2.6||2.7||3.0||6.9|
|WEST SOUTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||68,797||25,922||10,628||5,220||5,056||7,296||14,675||1,225||24,998,909|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.8||2.4||2.1||2.3||2.3||2.7||6.4|
|WEST||Number of employees||116,913||52,291||19,869||15,082||8,547||6,770||14,354||1,383||53,664,492|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.2||2.4||1.7||1.7||1.7||2.0||6.5|
|MOUNTAIN||Number of employees||41,859||18,575||5,762||4,594||3,171||2,391||7,366||612||17,181,579|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.4||2.4||2.0||1.9||1.7||2.2||6.6|
|PACIFIC||Number of employees||75,054||33,716||14,107||10,488||5,376||4,379||6,988||771||36,482,913|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.1||2.4||1.6||1.6||1.7||1.9||6.3|
- 1 Full-time law enforcement employees include civilians.
- 2 The designation county is a combination of both metropolitan and nonmetropolitan counties.
- 3 Suburban areas include law enforcement agencies in cities with less than 50,000 inhabitants and county law enforcement agencies that are within a Metropolitan Statistical Area. Suburban areas exclude all metropolitan agencies associated with a principal city. The agencies associated with suburban areas also appear in other groups within this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
pulation Group, Number, and Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, 2019
- In 2019, law enforcement agencies in U.S. cities reported an average of 2.9 full-time law enforcement employees (including both sworn officers and civilians) per 1,000 inhabitants.
- Law enforcement agencies in cities in the Northeast had a rate of 3.6 full-time law enforcement employees per 1,000 inhabitants.
- The rate of full-time law enforcement employees per 1,000 inhabitants was 3.2 in cities in the South.
- In cities in the Midwest, the rate of full-time law enforcement employees per 1,000 residents was 2.6.
- Law enforcement agencies in cities in the West had a rate of 2.2 full-time law enforcement employees per 1,000 inhabitants.