Offense and Population Percent Distribution by Region, 2019
|United States Total2||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0||100.0|
- 1 The figures shown in the rape column were calculated using the revised Uniform Crime Reporting definition of rape. See data declaration for further explanation.
- 2 Because of rounding, the percentages may not add to 100.0.
- NOTE: Although arson data are included in the trend and clearance tables, sufficient data are not available to estimate totals for this offense. Therefore, no arson data are published in this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Crime in the United States, Offense and Population Percent Distribution by Region, 2019
- The South, the most populous region of the nation, accounted for 41.0 percent of all violent crimes in 2019. Lesser volumes of violent crime were recorded in the West at 26.0 percent, the Midwest at 19.8 percent, and the Northeast at 13.1 percent.
- In 2019, 48.7 percent of the nation’s estimated total number of murders occurred in the South. The Midwest had 20.8 percent of murders, followed by the West with 19.3 percent, and the Northeast with 11.2 percent.
- During 2019, 42.7 percent of the estimated number of property crimes was recorded in the South. The West was next highest with 27.3 percent, followed by the Midwest with 19.1 percent, and the Northeast with 10.9 percent.