Crime in the United States
by Community Type, 2018
|United States Total||327,167,434||1,245,065||16,214||139,380||282,061||807,410||7,196,045||1,230,149||5,217,055||748,841|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||380.6||5.0||42.6||86.2||246.8||2199.5||376.0||1594.6||228.9|
|Metropolitan Statistical Area||281,259,303|
|Area actually reporting4||98.2%||1,105,433||14,428||118,836||268,371||703,798||6,305,123||1,032,441||4,590,178||682,504|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||397.8||5.2||42.6||96.6||253.5||2277.2||373.0||1658.9||245.3|
|Cities outside metropolitan areas||18,699,875|
|Area actually reporting4||90.7%||68,036||711||9,439||6,461||51,425||452,123||82,867||341,223||28,033|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||382.4||3.9||51.9||38.1||288.6||2638.6||485.5||1994.9||158.2|
|Area actually reporting4||92.0%||50,616||889||9,527||2,595||37,605||273,319||80,962||165,134||27,223|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||200.8||3.4||36.2||12.4||148.9||1094.3||331.8||654.9||107.6|
- 1 Population figures are U.S. Census Bureau provisional estimates as of July 1, 2018.
- 2 The violent crime figures include the offenses of murder, rape (revised definition), robbery, and aggravated assault.
- 3 The figures shown in this column for the offense of rape were estimated using the revised Uniform Crime Reporting definition of rape. See data declaration for further explanation.
- 4 The percentage reported under "Area actually reporting" is based upon the population covered by agencies providing 3 months or more of crime reports to the FBI.
- NOTE: Although arson data are included in the trend and clearance tables, sufficient data are not available to estimate totals for this offense. Therefore, no arson data are published in this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Crime in the United States, by Community Type, 2018
- In 2018, the violent crime rate in the United States was 380.6 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- In Metropolitan Statistical Areas, the violent crime rate was 397.8 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- The violent crime rate was 382.4 per 100,000 inhabitants in cities outside metropolitan areas and 200.8 per 100,000 inhabitants in nonmetropolitan counties.
- The murder rate in the United States was 5.0 offenses per 100,000 inhabitants in 2018.
- The murder rate in Metropolitan Statistical Areas was 5.2 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- The murder rates in cities outside metropolitan areas and in nonmetropolitan counties were 3.9 per 100,000 inhabitants and 3.4 per 100,000 inhabitants, respectively.
- The property crime rate in the United States was 2,199.5 per 100,000 inhabitants in 2018.
- In Metropolitan Statistical Areas, the property crime rate was 2,277.2 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- The property crime rate was 2,638.6 per 100,000 inhabitants in cities outside metropolitan areas; the property crime rate was 1,094.3 per 100,000 inhabitants in nonmetropolitan counties.