by Population Group
Percent Male and Female, 2013
|GROUP I (250,000 and over)||175,797||72.0||28.0||133,309||84.0||16.0||42,488||34.3||65.7||73||51,744,651|
|1,000,000 and over (Group I subset)||87,468||70.1||29.9||64,168||83.0||17.0||23,300||34.5||65.5||8||20,834,644|
|500,000 to 999,999 (Group I subset)||49,447||75.5||24.5||39,168||85.1||14.9||10,279||38.7||61.3||23||16,417,960|
|250,000 to 499,999 (Group I subset)||38,882||72.0||28.0||29,973||84.8||15.2||8,909||28.8||71.2||42||14,492,047|
|GROUP II (100,000 to 249,999)||63,410||73.3||26.7||48,284||88.1||11.9||15,126||26.0||74.0||193||28,587,514|
|GROUP III (50,000 to 99,999)||57,806||76.8||23.2||44,972||90.4||9.6||12,834||29.2||70.8||405||27,923,876|
|GROUP IV (25,000 to 49,999)||53,525||78.1||21.9||42,624||90.8||9.2||10,901||28.1||71.9||719||24,881,626|
|GROUP V (10,000 to 24,999)||58,127||79.7||20.3||47,120||92.1||7.9||11,007||26.8||73.2||1,597||25,483,611|
|GROUP VI (under 10,000)||94,562||79.4||20.6||73,625||90.8||9.2||20,937||39.0||61.0||6,907||21,180,962|
- 1 Suburban areas include law enforcement agencies in cities with less than 50,000 inhabitants and county law enforcement agencies that are within a Metropolitan Statistical Area (see Data Declaration). Suburban areas exclude all metropolitan agencies associated with a principal city. The agencies associated with suburban areas also appear in other groups within this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Full-time Law Enforcement Employees, by Population Group, Percent Male and Female, 2013
- Nationwide in 2013, 88.4 percent of full-time law enforcement officers were males.
- Nearly 61 percent (60.7) of full-time civilian law enforcement employees were females.
- Of the city population groups, cities with populations of 10,000 to 24,999 inhabitants employed the highest percentage (92.1) of male officers.
- Cities with populations of 1 million and over (a subset of the total Group I cities) employed the highest percentage (17.0) of female officers.
- Regarding the nation’s full-time civilian law enforcement employees, cities with populations of 100,000 to 249,999 inhabitants had the highest percentage (74.0) of females.
- Metropolitan county agencies had the highest percentage (44.9) of male full-time civilian law enforcement employees.