Full-time Law Enforcement Employees
by Population Group
Percent Male and Female, 2010
|Population group||Total law enforcement employees||
|Total officers||Percent officers||Total civilians||Percent civilians||
|GROUP I (250,000 and over)||201,067||71.6||28.4||154,306||83.2||16.8||46,761||33.6||66.4||74||56,581,538|
|1,000,000 and over (Group I subset)||109,760||70.3||29.7||82,949||81.9||18.1||26,811||34.5||65.5||10||25,823,829|
|500,000 to 999,999 (Group I subset)||53,777||74.1||25.9||42,239||84.3||15.7||11,538||36.8||63.2||24||16,642,397|
|250,000 to 499,999 (Group I subset)||37,530||72.0||28.0||29,118||85.1||14.9||8,412||26.6||73.4||40||14,115,312|
|GROUP II (100,000 to 249,999)||68,705||73.3||26.7||52,541||87.9||12.1||16,164||25.9||74.1||193||28,908,827|
|GROUP III (50,000 to 99,999)||65,955||76.2||23.8||51,072||90.3||9.7||14,883||27.9||72.1||437||29,978,412|
|GROUP IV (25,000 to 49,999)||62,927||78.2||21.8||49,883||91.4||8.6||13,044||27.6||72.4||812||27,951,300|
|GROUP V (10,000 to 24,999)||69,615||79.4||20.6||55,959||92.2||7.8||13,656||26.8||73.2||1,853||29,350,253|
|GROUP VI (under 10,000)||109,408||79.5||20.5||85,144||91.5||8.5||24,264||37.5||62.5||7,987||24,402,099|
- 1 Suburban areas include law enforcement agencies in cities with less than 50,000 inhabitants and county law enforcement agencies that are within a Metropolitan Statistical Area (see Data Declaration). Suburban areas exclude all metropolitan agencies associated with a principal city. The agencies associated with suburban areas also appear in other groups within this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Full-time Law Enforcement Employees by Population Group, Percent Male and Female, 2010
- Nationwide in 2010, 88.2 percent of full-time law enforcement officers were males.
- Nationwide, 60.8 percent of full-time civilian law enforcement employees were females.
- Of the city population groups, cities with populations of 10,000 to 24,999 inhabitants employed the highest percentage (92.2) of full-time male officers.
- Cities with populations of 1 million and over (a subset of the total Group I cities) employed the highest percentage (18.1) of full-time female officers.
- Among the Nation’s civilian law enforcement personnel, cities with populations of 100,000 to 249,999 inhabitants had the highest percentage (74.1) of female employees.
- Metropolitan county agencies had the highest percentage (45.7) of full-time male civilian law enforcement employees.